Self-introduction letter

Subject: Self introduction

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I am writing this letter to give you an introduction to myself. My name is Ellice Tan and I am a year one student at the Singapore Institute of Technology studying Robotics Systems Engineering. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in Information Technology. Back in my polytechnic, we studied a module called "Introduction to Artificial Intelligence" and we learnt the capabilities of technology and integrating AI into robots. This piqued my interest as there are vast opportunities and developments that can be created or improved with such advanced technology. When I saw that this course involves integrating software robots, it caught my attention. With such rapid advancements in technology and all the news about how critical technology is to us, I felt that this course would be very relevant and interesting for me.

When it comes to communication, I am a very attentive listener. I enjoy listening to people's viewpoints closely to not only analyze their perspectives, but to also come up with relevant advice or answers. For example, when listening to someone, I try to reply with open-ended questions to let them know that I am actively listening. Non-verbal cues such as maintaining eye contact and nodding my head is what I practice so that the person speaking will be more comfortable and honest. Furthermore, when someone is having a conversation with me, I will also try to put away any distractions such as my phone to let them know that they have my full attention. Thus, I believe that active listening is my forte when it comes to communication.

However, when it comes to presenting in front of large crowds, I tend to be very nervous and shy. When opportunity arises to answer or talk in front of the class, I will not respond unless I am called out. Back in my polytechnic, I tend to get stage fright when presenting so I always make sure I refer to a script. When I am nervous, my train of thought usually gets messy so I tend to stutter or mumble. I used to type out and read my script word for word which meant that I did not make much eye contact with the audience. Furthermore, communication and presentation skills were not heavily emphasized in my course. Therefore, my greatest weakness in communicating would be being too reliant on a script when presenting or presenting in general.

My goals in this module would be to be able to speak confidently and develop my writing and presentation skills. Rather than just relying on a script when presenting, I would like to be able to speak fluently with no script. I would also like to challenge myself to become more proactive in speaking up in class. In addition to that, I would also like to refine my writing and language skills especially when it comes to writing in different contexts or requirements such as in a formal or informal tone and overall improving my command of English.

Thank you for reading my letter and I look forward to improving my communication skills with you!

Best regards,
Ellice Tan

Comments

  1. Hi Ellice,
    I read your self-introduction and I found it interesting as I was able to get to know more about you and understand your interests in greater detail. My feedback for your self-introduction is given below.

    Content: All the required topics has been addressed.
    Organization: Topics are distinctly separated into 3 clear paragraphs with a smooth transition between
    Language accuracy and grammatical errors: Good. "Furthermore, Thus, I believe that active listening is my forte when it comes to communication". You have used two transitional words, "Furthermore, Thus" in one sentence which makes it unclear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and pointing that out! It seems that I have forgotten to remove it :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellice,

    From your second paragraph, I can tell you put in a lot of effort to being good at talking to people.

    From the first paragraph, I don't think we is the right word to explain what was taught in polytechnic.

    Overall, I personally feel you have good English writing, no obvious grammar mistakes and punctuations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog! I'll take this comment into account and work on my first paragraph :D

      Delete
  3. Dear Ellice,

    This is a richly detailed letter. From the clear attention given to each topic and concrete descriptions we can see that you are a highly considerate communicator and a thoughtful person. It's also interesting to learn about the background for your developing interest in robotics.

    In terms of language use, this is a very good effort, with pnly a few points for you to take note of:

    1. verb use
    -- Non-verbal cues such as maintaining eye contact and nodding my head is what I practice ... > (subject-verb disagreement) ?
    -- Back in my polytechnic, I tend to get stage fright when presenting so I always make sure I refer to a script. > (verb tense)

    2. punctuation
    -- I used to type out and read my script word for word which meant that I did not make much eye contact with the audience. >
    I used to type out and read my script word for word, which meant that I did not make much eye contact with the audience.

    3. clarity of sentence structure (and punctuation)
    -- In addition to that, I would also like to refine my writing and language skills especially when it comes to writing in different contexts or requirements such as in a formal or informal tone and overall improving my command of English.
    >
    In addition to that, I would also like to refine my language skills, especially when it comes to writing in different contexts or in term of appropriate tone. Overall, I want to improve my command of English.

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts